Penn State Benefits
- Benefits offered by Penn State
- Tuition Discount (including how to verify your dependents)
- Employee Resources (Current, Family, and Prospective)
- Leave of Absence (to include FMLA) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity and Inclusion
- View personal information in Workday
- View your pay slip in Workday by clicking on ‘Pay’ then view the individual month
- View your annual salary by clicking on ‘Compensation’
- View your benefits elections by clicking on ‘Benefits’. You will also be able to see your beneficiaries and dependents here as well.
- Update your home address
- Contact email@example.com to update your office address in the Penn State Directory
- Update your Career Profile
Hiring Part-time Employees
- Part-time hiring resources for managers
Retiring from Penn State
Are you thinking about retiring from Penn State?
Did you know that Penn State Human Resources (PSHR) Benefits team offers LIVE webinars to help our employees as you make this life-changing decision? During the live webinar, a representative from our Benefits team will help educate you about retiring from the University and answer your questions as you prepare for this momentous event.
The complete schedule of webinars can be found on the benefits page of the PSHR website. Don’t forget to check the website as the schedule may change.
The benefits team encourages you to attend an upcoming webinar and take a moment to review policy HR54, if you are thinking of retiring. However, if you should have any questions about the upcoming webinars, policy HR54, or about retiring, please contact HR Services at 814-865-1473.
- When your students enter their hours worked, you will receive an alert to approve their time worked. Please approve these in a timely fashion as the student is not paid if their time is not approved by the payroll deadline.
- HR102 Separation Checklist
- These are sent as a task in Workday when a student or employee leaves a position with you. In some cases, they may be transferring to another faculty member. You are responsible for completing the task, but if you did not issue an item or it does not apply you can simply mark N/A.
- HR does send a list monthly to IT and facilities to ensure any terminated employees are removed from databases and mailing lists.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Non-exempt employees should enter their time worked and submit monthly for their manager to approve.
- Note you will not receive your time off accruals until the time worked for the month is submitted.
- Correcting time worked
- Time Off available to all staff employees
- View future time off balance
- Penn State recognizes several holidays throughout the year.
- These holidays are entered into Workday automatically for employees.
Referring Full-time Staff
Hiring Full-time Staff
- Talk with HR to determine the appropriate job profile, level and salary
- Enter the request in the Hiring Exception System (to be approved by HRSP, FO, Dean and Provost).
- Most fields you can begin typing and suggestions will appear. For example, under Job Code, you can type “administrative” and the administrative support assistants and coordinator profiles will appear.
- Once fully approved (an email will be sent), enter the details in Workday using this guide.
- If a position is a backfill you, can select that on the first screen and most items will populate for you to make edits.
- Job description and an updated JRW will need to be included.
- Once submitted the positing will go through various approvals and the manager and committee will receive an alert in Workday once the position has been posted.
- Email the college to let them know of the new opportunity within the college.
- The recruiter and HRC will work with you on reviewing candidates and sharing information for a successful search.
Annual Performance Management
Applying to a Position
- Part-time positions are posted on an ongoing basis throughout the year. Applicants looking for part-time opportunities should visit Penn State Careers to view open positions.
- Student application process
- Student employee application process
- The most qualified candidates are contacted after their application is reviewed by the hiring manager.
- An offer letter will be sent to you through Workday to review and accept the position.
- Once accepted, candidates receive an email from Penn State Human Resources to login to our background vendor’s website (First Advantage) to complete the background screening.
- New hires will need to complete their onboarding tasks in Workday.
- Schedule an onboarding appointment, no later than your 3rd day of work.
- Come prepared to your onboarding session with your Employment Eligibility Documents.
- You must present ORIGINAL UNEXPIRED documentation that shows identity and employment authorization. NO PHOTOCOPIES CAN BE ACCEPTED.
- Enter your time into Workday
- Enter the time each pay period, do not hold hours to enter all at once or at the end of the semester.
- If you have more than one job, be sure to record the time under the correct position so the correct manager receives the hours to approve.
- Submit your time prior to the payroll deadline.
- The payroll calendar lists out paydates and the deadline for your manager to approve your time.
- Recommend submitting time on Monday, allowing your manager 48 hours prior to payroll deadline (Wednesday) to approve.
- If time is not approved by 5pm on this date, you will not be paid until the following pay date.
- If you forget to submit your time prior to the deadline, you will not be able to enter or submit until the Tuesday after payroll deadline.
- Watch this short video for a quick overview.
- When your manager approves your timesheet, you will receive an alert in Workday.
Reviewing Your Payslip
- On the pay date you can login to Workday to review the pay details. For any questions or concerns, please call 814-865-1473 or submit an inquiry.
Leaving Penn State
- Notify your manager, be sure to return any items issued and ensure any work completed is on a shared drive for your manager to access.