The Penn State Student Code of Conduct includes a section titled Violations of Academic Integrity. When a faculty member believes that a student has engaged in behavior included in this Code, they are both required to participate in the academic integrity process outlined in the G-9 procedures designed by the Faculty Senate.
The University’s Academic Integrity policy provides for two types of sanctions: academic and disciplinary. IST faculty should take the following steps as they consider sanctions for academic integrity violations.
- Review the IST Sanction Guidelines for Academic Integrity Violations and Penn State Sanction Guidelines for Academic Integrity Violations.
- Meet with the student to discuss your concerns.
- Submit an academic integrity violation form through the University’s Academic Integrity Portal, if appropriate.
- View the Educator Guide for guidance on using the online portal.
- Assign the student to take the University's online academic integrity training course, if appropriate.
All students should act with personal integrity; respect others’ dignity, rights, and property; and help create and maintain an environment in which all can succeed and earn the trust and respect of others. This includes honesty and responsibility in representing their own work and acknowledging the contributions of others. Academic dishonesty is managed by Penn State's Office of Student Accountability and Conflict Response and is taken very seriously.
IST faculty should encourage students to review the college's academic integrity webpage to become familiar with their role in the process and understand how to protect themselves and their work from violations of Penn State's Student Code of Conduct.
Academic Integrity Resources
- Academic Integrity at Penn State (Office of Student Accountability and Conflict Response)
- Student Academic Integrity Training
- IST_AC-01 Academic Integrity Resources for Faculty
- IST Sanction Guidelines for Academic Integrity Violations
- Penn State Sanction Guidelines for Academic Integrity Violations
- Senate Policy G9 on Academic Integrity Procedures
- Senate Policy 49-20 on Academic Integrity