- December 15: Final deadline for applications, including test scores, recommendation letters and supplemental application materials.
- January: The Graduate Recruiting Committee begins reviewing applications.
- February-April: Admission offers are sent via email. Only those applicants with a complete application will be sent an offer.
- April 15: Reply deadline for admitted applicants.
- April 30: Notices of non-acceptance are sent via email.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application to The Graduate School at Penn State. All applicants must satisfy the requirements for graduate admission.
- Upload a 1-3 page Research Interests and Preparation Statement describing 1-2 specific research problems that interest you.
- Arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted. Using the electronic application, applicants will enter the references' contact information. The Graduate School will contact the reference with instructions on how to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Upload a complete resume or curriculum vitae, which should include current positions and publications.
- Upload a Portfolio which includes 2-3 examples of your best work you have done to this point in your career. This may include essays, publications, technical reports or other work.
- Upload official transcripts from each institution attended. Upon acceptance of an offer of admission, hard copies of official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) attended to The Graduate School for verification. International applicants should submit transcripts in English and their native language.
- International applicants must arrange for TOEFL iBT scores to be sent electronically from ETS to The Graduate School (institution code 2660). Please visit the Graduate School website for English proficiency exceptions. The College of IST will accept IELTS scores, but TOEFL iBT scores are preferred.
- Review the Graduate Research Assistantship Opportunities page for funding information and available opportunities.
- Reference our Ph.D. Frequently Asked Questions for inquiries about the admission and application process.
- Check the status of your application throughout the admission process.
- Contact the College of IST’s Office of Graduate Programs for assistance.