It is never too early to begin your career exploration and journey. Developing the skills to prepare for and attend networking and career fair events is a very important step in your career journey. Just like any skill, the more you practice it, the better you will be.
This page breaks down the process to help you prepare for and make the most of any career fair opportunity. These steps will provide a guide with clear and actionable suggestions for you to use. They will help you present yourself and your skills confidently because you will know that you have prepared for these events.
Know that fall events are the heaviest recruiting time for internship opportunities for the next summer. It is important for you to attend events now, both virtually and in-person. It is also important for you to know that you will get better at this. And, we are here to assist you.
Congratulations! You are on your way! Let’s get started!
Before the Fair:
- Register in advance. This will allow you to maximize your time at the fair.
- Prioritize your target companies and start with one or two companies that are at the lower end of your list. This can help you to get in the flow of the event and get your nerves under control
- Look at the company’s career page on their website.
- If the event is virtual, be aware of the time limit on your conversation if there is one. Keep your introduction concise.
- Make sure you have registered and are able to easily access the system with strong internet connection or that you have directions for where the in-person event is being held.