Knowing how to dress appropriately for a professional situation can go a long way. First impressions are important, and making the wrong impression can be the difference between landing a job and losing consideration for a position.
Review this attire guide for suggestions on building a professional wardrobe.
If you are attending an employer event or engagement session and dress code is not specified, the Office of Career Solutions and Corporate Engagement recommends that you dress in business casual attire. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb is as follows:
- Wear business professional attire for interviews and career fairs
- Wear business casual attire for general employer events like information sessions and workshops
- Avoid perfume and cologne. Personal hygiene is important but you don't want to overwhelm someone with a strong scent. Remember, interview rooms can be small and even a pleasant smell can be overwhelming in close quarters.
- Neutral colors work best for all situations. You want to be memorable, but you don't want it to be because your clothes are distracting.
- Clothes should be neat and clean. Be sure your clothes are laundered, wrinkle and lint free, and that they fit appropriately.
- Stow your phone. Keep it turned off and out of sight with your other personal belongings.