Information Sciences and Technology Minor (IST)
The IST minor is designed to expose students not majoring in IST to the cognitive, social, institutional, and global environments of Information Sciences and Technology and to teach them to apply that knowledge as a supplement to their major.
Through this program, students can gain the theoretical frameworks and skill sets necessary to compete and be productive in the information technology-intensive global context that defines the new "Information Age."
Specifically, the IST minor will enable students to:
- Build an understanding of core information technologies and related areas of study.
- Prepare for the practical application of various information sciences and related technologies.
- Sharpen their abilities to think critically and to work in teams.
Check course prerequisites by clicking on the course designation and number below.
Prescribed Courses (10 credits)
- IST 110 Introduction to Information, People and Technology (3)
- IST 210 Organization of Data (4)
- IST 220 Networking and Telecommunications (3)
Additional Courses (3 Credits)
- IST 250 New Media and the Web (3)
- IST 301 Information and Organizations (3) or
- IST 302 IT Project Management (3)
Additional Courses (6 Credits)
- IST 402 Emerging Issues and Technologies (3 per semester/maximum of 9)
- IST 431 The Information Environment (3)
- IST 432 Legal and Regulatory Environment of Information Science and Technology (3)
Please note: Upon entrance to the IST minor, a one-time, non-refundable fee of $750 (USD) will be assessed. The student will be asked to confirm they accept the fee. The Bursar's Office will be notified of the student's enrollments in the minor and post the fee to the student's account.
****Effective FA13, the minor fee will no longer be assessed****
For More Information
Undergraduate Advising Center
College of Information Sciences and Technology
104 Information Sciences and Technology Building
University Park, PA